Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Welcome Back Family

Dear Family,
Welcome back to our blog!  I can't believe it has been six months since anything has been posted on our blog.  I know we can do better!  Life continues to be busy for us here in Utah.  Tonight for family home evening we joined Kristin and the children (while Greg attended a class) for dinner at a restaurant just down the street and then went to a wheelchair basketball game.  One of the youth in our ward organized this event for his eagle project.  There were several groups that each took turns playing against this very professional youth basketball team where each of the members was disabled and confined to a wheelchair.  Those that were not disabled had to play in wheelchairs as well.  It was fun to watch and very inspiring to observe individuals who had worked so hard to adapt to a variety of disabilities and become so proficient at what they were doing.
Spring is trying to come here in our valley....We have had some very pleasant days but now and then are surprised by a light snow storm that doesn't stay around long.  In anticipation of warmer weather, Dad and I have been looking for play equipment and furniture to use outside.
I had a great trip to CA the first of the month.  I was able to spend time with Kevin, Julie and family as well as see Cinda and Dave's new home.  I was so glad to be able to help Kevin and Julie and the kids for a few days.  Lizzy and Tyler are doing so well and busy with school, singing group, sports, etc. and Emily is so fun and entertaining.  I was constantly amazed at her vocabulary and how well she understands what we are saying and asking her to do.  I miss singing with her, taking walks and just kissing her chubby cheeks!  It was plain to see that Kevin and Julie are loved by many and we are so grateful for the members of their ward and other friends who have brought meals, offered to help with rides for the kids and many other things.
Cinda and Dave's new home is beautiful and it was fun to see how they've arranged everything.  I'm anxious for all of you to see it.  All the kids seem to be growing up so much and so fast....
This morning I went to Grandma Horne's assisted living home to see her participate in a St. Patricks Day program.  Their director was giving a presentation on the history of Ireland and their traditions.  As part of his presentation, Grandma sang the "Irish Washerwoman", a song she used to sing with three of her sisters.    She dressed up in an apron and with a towel on her head and used a large tub.  She did a great job, actions and all!  I was actually amazed she could remember all the words!
I have been attending a BYU continuing education course on the Pearl of Great Price/Old Testament on Wed. mornings.  It is similar to an institute class.  The teacher is wonderful and gives many insights from past, as well as present, presidents of the church and other general authorities.  Last week we talked about establishing Zion and what needed to take place.  After much discussion what was concluded was that each of us needs to be more concerned about preparing ourselves become what we need to become and not be so worried about what others are doing or not doing.  There was a wonderful conference talk by Elder Condie he suggested we read:  "A Mighty Change of Heart" .  I looked it up and read it and recommend it to all of you to read.  He also quoted President Hinckley:  "There is so much of bitterness in the world.  There is so  much of pain and sorrow that come of angry words.  There is so much of tears that follow disloyalty.  But there can be so  much of happiness if there is an effort to please and an overwhelming desire to make comfortable and happy one's companion. I m satisfied that if we would look for the virtues in one another and not the vices, there would be much more of happiness in the homes of our people.  There would be far less of divorce, much less of infidelity,  much less of anger and rancor and quarreling.  There would be  more of forgiveness, more of love, more of peace, more of happiness.  This is as the Lord would have it."             
President Hinckley always expressed himself so well.  His entire talk, "Living Worthy of the Girl (or Boy) You Will Someday Marry" is wonderful and one that would be good to teach to our children and our youth.
I am going to end....I will ask Dad to add a few words.  We look forward to hearing from all of you!
 Love, Mom
   
Hello everyone,
Mom's told you most of what is going on but in addition I have been serving in the Temple as a sealer 2 shifts a week, Wed. PM 3:45-10:00 and Sat. AM 5:45-11:00 or 12:00 depending on what is going on.  I have had a chance to perform 3 sealings for the living (2 licensed marriages and 1 child to parent sealing) as well, of course, as many proxy sessions.  It has been enjoyable but getting up at 4:15 AM on Saturdays is a challenge.  I had gotten use to not getting up that early since leaving Fresno so I have had to readjust again.  I am in the process of planning and installing soon some raised bed garden boxes so we can grow a garden.  It will be good and help us hopefully with our emergency preparedness.  I am going to order some seeds that are sealed in a container and supposedly good to still germinate after 20 years.  We loved having Jenny and Todd and family, and Amy and Zach and girls and Kevin and Julie come in Feb. and of course love having Scott, Kristin, Greg, Jake and Eliza close by.  We miss all of you and would love for all of you to be able to come more often and look forward to Newport this summer.  I am going to close and go out and plant some Spring flowers and then hope we don't get a significant cold spell.  A little frost won't hurt but several nights of freezing weather wouldn't help much.  I think of all of you daily and pray the blessings of our Heavenly Father to be with all of our family that we might be worthy of the sacred blessings all of us have been promised in the Temple if we honor our covenants.
      All my love, Dad and Grandpa                                                               























No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.